Sunday, February 26, 2017

A Work In Progress

Progress on my hobbies has been slow, very slow over the last few weeks that's because I havn't been working on them!

I started my OOAK Tokidoki lookalike about 3 weeks ago and have not been back to her since. I do however plan on getting her finished at some stage. This project has been a real trial and error kind of project.

I'm modelling my OOAK of this beauty

The doll initially wanted to use has proved to have terrible hair! After cutting and washing her hair several times it remains stiff and also sticky. I tried to tame her hair by using boiling water to set it straight, BUT, it remains stiff and sticky! what can I do about this?

I really liked the eyes on this doll, so rather than removing the factory paint, I altered them just a tad to suit my liking by enhancing the eyeliner. The lips are yet to be altered.

Before painting

After the repaint
Now comes the fun part, applying tattoos. This should be as easy as 1,2,3...WRONG! The temporary tattoos I had bought were terrible to apply and rubbed off super easy or came off while applying another tattoo. Many tattoos had been applied and "fun" was turning into "nightmare."


Tattoos that kept washing /rubbing off 

I soon discovered one of the issues of failed tattoo application was my patience level! I needed to slow down and apply one at a time, let the tattoo dry and seal it before moving on to the next (sometimes I rush things due to not getting much hobby time). So, in order to seal the tattoos I use clear nail polish. This works a treat.







You may of noticed a different body has been used in the second application of tattoos. I decided due to the stiff/sticky hair on the other doll that I would flag using her and start again. Unfortunately the only doll I had left to make a OOAK was one with the painted on swimsuit...ARRR Mattel! why do they do such things. Not a fan of the painted on swimsuits as you can probably tell. Anyway, this issue will not stand in my way as the jumper/top I have sewn for this gal will cover up the swimsuit but still show off the back tattoo.

As for Miss Sticky Hair, she will not go to waste. I do plan on finishing her at some stage but for now she is "on the back burner until further notice"









No comments:

Post a Comment