Monday, January 30, 2017

Queen of Queens: Fashion Queen

Its 1963, "big hair" is in and so are wigs. With fake hair being "the big" hair accessory of the 1960's, wigs gave an instant hair do that was stylish and up to date with current trends.

1960's wig advert

And keeping up with current trends is exactly what our favourite doll Barbie likes to do, so in 1963, Mattel released "Fashion Queen" Barbie. She came complete with not one but three stylish wigs. Styles included: a red flip, blonde bubble cut and brunette pageboy. Now Barbie really could be dressed for any occasion!




   







Fashion Queens came with either pink or coral lips


Fashion Queen Barbie was also available in sets (well of course she was! its what Mattel does best!).
These sets are rare!












2010 saw the release of My Favorite Barbie Fashion Queen Reproduction





It was inevitable that one of these glamour girls was to end up in my collection. My Fashion Queen Barbie, who has now been named Fay, joined my vintage collection last year in November. Although she is not in prime condition I'm still thrilled to have her in my collection. She is missing her original swimsuit, but she did come with her three wigs and wig stand. Fay will be getting a face repaint sometime soon! I must admit, I don't normally tamper with vintage dolls face! I also need to redo the wigs as they are not in the best shape either. Do you have any tips on restyling these wigs???

















Happy Collecting 😀




































No comments:

Post a Comment