Saturday, January 7, 2017

Trial and Error

OOAK... It was an abbreviation I had seen many times and always thought "what the heck does that mean?" I was soon to discover what this magnificent little abbreviation stood for and unleash a new hobby.

It was whilst searching for information on Fashionista's that I came across what I would call "A True Beauty" of a doll. The 2011 Tokidoki Barbie. I wanted, I want this doll! However, as prices for her are somewhat high, she's one I can assure you I certainly will not be adding to my collection any time soon but rather to my list of "Dream Dolls"

     
With the new found knowledge of OOAK aka custom dolls and my ultimate Barbie doll being on my "Dream Dolls" list, thus prompted me into creating my own Tokidoki lookalike. But where on earth do I start??? what paints do I use? how do I dye the hair? What will my painting skills be like? Can I actually do this.? With so many questions looming, the obvious starting point was of course Google...(we all know our ol' pal Google has the answers) and answers I found.

Now that I had some answers to my questions it was time to get some results. Upon planning to use acrylic paints, I stumbled across this video on YouTube which uses watercolour pencils....who would have thought! SugarCharmShop is the name this lovely lady calls her channel on YouTube, she has some very impressive tutorials, check em' out! 



Now, bearing in mind that  I am indeed a beginner I was not expecting my first attempt to be perfect. Using the watercolour pencils proved to be an excellent choice for me, "the beginner" as it gave me an instant colour palette with many different shades to choose from, also, the pencil is easy to rub of with water and cotton buds if an error occurs. I used Faber-Castell pencils. Overall, I was pleased with the end result (please note, its only the eyes I have been practicing painting)
Factory makeup before removal

Makeup removed

The final result

However, in saying I was pleased with the end result, I found doing the eyelashes to be somewhat difficult...one wrong lash throws the whole face out. I watched some more videos on YouTube and consulted with my dear friend Uncle Google on the matter but didn't really find anything that was of much help. I guess its a matter of reverting to the old adage "practice makes perfect."

And practice is what I have been doing.....


The second practice doll
Practicing painting eyes of different colours



 After my attempts with the watercolours, I was now feeling confident to give the acrylics a go! What a huge difference these make. Much more vibrant and clear.  


Watercolour on left, acrylics on right


My next step in producing a custom doll was sorting out the hair. I wanted colour in the hair and once again called upon Google to see what could be done in order to change the dolls hair colour. I knew that rerooting was an option, however, I also knew that rerooting takes some time to do and this was not the option I was looking for. The option that suited me best was found at I Am Love Dolls. This option for dying the hair uses acrylic paints. Although there are betters ways to dye the hair, I found this worked for me as it is inexpensive and simple to do.

Blue hair using acrylic paints


On the whole, I still have a long way to go before I create my lookalike Tokidoki doll. Many more hours of practice are on the cards for me! Meanwhile, I shall keep searching for tips on customizing dolls :) 

What are your tips for repainting Barbies?  











    




 









6 comments:

  1. Practicing and experimenting is the only way, and you're doing a good job so far! I read a great post recently about a repainted Barbie, I thought it might interest you (if you haven't seen it already that is :-) ):

    http://ateliernishasha.blogspot.be/2016/07/braving-doll-reroot-and-repaint.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J.J. =) Glad to hear you liked my post on my repaint attempts! I sure was inspired to do more when I read your comment here, and when Shazza commented to the post you shared here. I really appreciate it. Thank you so much!

      Delete
    2. Hi Shasha, I saw your doll at Debbie B. Garret's blog and was really impressed! :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks JJ! I will be sure to check this out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shazza! You are having great start at it! I have been wanting to do repaints and researching for as long as I could remember (maybe 3-4 years) and then I came across an Instagrammer named "allthelittledolls". I love how realistic her customs were so I asked her a few questions as to how to start, which materials to use. After acquiring the materials, I gave it a go and all the research (including watching all repain youtube videos I could find on my free time) I made through the years are now applied. I am happy with the results and having really special OOAK dolls made me happier to have them in my collection. I am excited to see more of your repaint ventures!!!

      Delete
    2. Hey Shasha,

      Thank you! I am rather please with my attempts also. I must get onto instagram and have a look at "allthelittledolls."

      Its great seeing other peoples work as it inspires me even more. Your repaint is absolutely brillant! I look forward to seeing more of your work :)

      Delete